Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Book Review: The Wedding Date

"The Wedding Date" by Jasmine Guillory

Publication Date- January 30, 2018

Genre-Adult, Contemporary, Romance

Paperback Edition-311 Pages

Rating-4/5 Lily Pads

Would I Recommend It? Yes

No Spoilers!!


Introduction

Hey there, I'm finally back with a review! Today I am reviewing "The Wedding Date". This is her debut novel and I enjoyed it. When I found out about this book, I knew I had to read it. This book was right up my alley. The Fake-Dating Trope is my favoirte Trope in romance books/movies. I wanted to read a book that's similar to "The Hating Game" by Sally Thorne, which is one of my favorite books. This was the perfect Valentine's Day read. Let's get on to the review. 

Goodreads Summary

A groomsman and his last-minute guest are about to discover if a fake date can go the distance in a fun and flirty debut novel.

Agreeing to go to a wedding with a guy she gets stuck with in an elevator is something Alexa Monroe wouldn't normally do. But there's something about Drew Nichols that's too hard to resist.

On the eve of his ex's wedding festivities, Drew is minus a plus one. Until a power outage strands him with the perfect candidate for a fake girlfriend...

After Alexa and Drew have more fun than they ever thought possible, Drew has to fly back to Los Angeles and his job as a pediatric surgeon, and Alexa heads home to Berkeley, where she's the mayor's chief of staff. Too bad they can't stop thinking about the other... 

They're just two high-powered professionals on a collision course toward the long distance dating disaster of the century--or closing the gap between what they think they need and what they truly want...

Plot-5/5


The plot is what sold me to read this book. I love books with fake-dating in it, so I had to read this book. I love that Alexa and Drew met in an elevator and I love that the book starts and ends with them in the elevator. I thought that was really cool!

Writing-4/5

This is Jasmine's first novel and I liked her writing. It's not the best writing I've read but her style is pretty good. The only thing I didn't like about the writing is she told the story more instead of showing us everything that happens. For example, whenever Alexa and Drew are together, she skips over most of their interactions and just shows them either eating or having sex. It gets really repetitive because that's pretty much all they do when their together. It kind of annoyed me honestly. 

Pacing-4/5

The pacing is fine. I was never bored while reading this book, but I wasn't motivated to pick it up in my free time. 

Cover-5/5

Even though I didn't love this book I love the cover so much! It's gorgeous, that's all I have to say!


Characters-4/5

I think the main reason why I didn't love this book is because of the characters. I liked them, but I didn't love them.I didn't think the character development was that great, to be honest.  I'll explain why below.

First let's talk about the main protagonist, Alexa. She is a kind, short black woman that works in politics. She's kind of insecure about her body and her looks because she's always surrounded by white women. I really liked her character. She's very nice and kind. She was fine. 

I don't know how I feel about Drew. I liked him but I didn't love him. He's a good guy but he kind of bothered me. He goes out with girls but won't commit and he has some anger problems throughout the book. He sort of just annoyed me at times and yeah, I just wasn't a huge fan of him. 

As for the romance, I liked it. Their relationship wasn't developed that well though. Like I said before their relationship was mostly based on sex and food. I felt like they didn't do much. They talked but the author didn't let us see that a lot. They also had some communication problems. I'll admit that the romance was realistic though. 

I loved the side characters, Maddie and Carlos. They were great friends to Alexa and Drew. 

Ending-5/5

I loved the ending of this book. It's a very cute, happy ending. I love happy endings!

Overall Thoughts

Overall, I liked this book but didn't love it. I've read better romance books but I'm glad I read this one. The author has a companion book coming out called "The Proposal" and I can't wait to read that book! If you love romance books, you should read this one. I recommend this book. That was my review. I'm sorry that this review isn't very good, I honestly didn't have much to say about this book. Thank you so much for reading. Have a great day and happy reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment