Thursday, November 30, 2017

Book Review: Born at Midnight


"Born at Midnight" by C.C. Hunter(Shadow Falls #1)

Publication Date- March 29, 2011

Paperback Edition-398 Pages

Genre-Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance

Rating-4.5/5 Lily Pads

Would I Recommend It? If you love Cassandra Clare's books, I think you'll like this book

No Spoilers!!

Introduction

Hey there, I am back with a review! Today I am reviewing a book that's been on my TBR for five years and that book is "Born at Midnight". I've been wanting to read this book since I first discovered it on Booktube in 2012. So I finally read it. I'll admit, that I dnf'd it after reading the first half because I wasn't loving it. I just decided to pick it up again because I really don't like not finishing books, and I'm so glad I did because I really enjoyed the book. Let's get on to the review. 

Goodreads Summary

One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever. Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.” Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.

Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either. Or does she? They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason. As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas. Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past. Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart. 

Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…

Plot-5/5

I know the plot of this book isn't very original, but I really liked it. I liked that it it's about a camp for paranormal creatures. It kind of reminded me of "Camp Half-Blood" from the Percy Jackson series. I love paranormal books so I thought it was cool that everyone at the camp were different creatures, it wasn't just one type of creature. 

Setting-5/5

I really liked the setting. Like I said before, I love that it took place at a camp for Paranormal creatures. It was cool to read about. 

Writing-4.5/5 

I like the author's writing, but her style isn't my favorite. I've read authors with better writing so I'm not giving her a perfect rating for this one. 

Pacing-5/5

The pacing was great. It was never slow and I was never bored while reading this book. 

Cover-5/5

I actually love the cover of this book. Purple is my favorite color so of course I love the cover! The spine is pretty too. 

Characters-5/5

I think the characters really saved the book for me. I chose to dnf it at first because I wasn't loving the book, but the characters definitely made me want to keep reading. The character development was done very well. I actually found myself attached to these characters.
I really liked Kylie. I don't understand why she has so much hate. Yeah, she can be immature at times but she's a teenage  girl so it's fine. I liked her because she's a kind, good, person. She really cares about others, especially her friends and family. 

I'm not going to mention all of the characters because that would take way too long. 

I liked Derek. I think I liked him more in the beginning of the book because Lucas wasn't present yet. He's a very good, sweet guy and I liked him. But I don't like that he keeps pressuring Kylie to be more than friends with him. If you read the book, obviously she likes Lucas better(I do too) and she doesn't want a relationship in the first book so I kind of wish he would back off a little. I heard he's more pushy in the second book and I just can't stand guys like that. What's wrong with just being friends first? They haven't known each other for long either. I only see him as a friend to her and nothing more. I'm biased because Lucas stole my heart. 


Guys, I am Team Lucas all the way! I loved him so much!! He's actually not in the book that much but when he was, my heart was beating so fast. He's such a good guy too like Derek but I like him so much better. He's very kind, sweet and very protective to Kylie and I love guys that are protective. Ahh, I love him so much! I obviously ship him and Kylie together, they are meant for each other. I also like that they have a history because their relationship didn't feel insta-lovey like her and Derek. I love that he always protected her when she was little, it's so cute! There's something he does at the end of the book and  I don't wanna spoil you but its' so sweet! I can't wait to see him more in the other books. He is seriously one of my book boyfriends now!

As for the side characters, I loved Della and Miranda. They are so cool and I would love to be friends with them. I loved Holiday and Perry but I don't like Kylie's parents. If you read the book you'll know why. 

Ending-5/5

The book has a happy ending but it ends on a cliffhanger. I need to know what happens next! I can't wait until I get to the next book. 

Overall Thoughts

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I'm so glad I decided to finish it and give it a second chance. It's been a while since I've read a paranormal book, so it was a nice change from all the other stuff I've been reading. The reason I didn't give the book a perfect rating is because I didn't love the book. I didn't think it was amazing or mind blowing but it was really good. I can't wait to read the second book "Awake at Dawn". This book is worth a buy. If you love paranormal books with love triangles or love the "Mortal Instruments" series by Cassandra Clare I think you will love this book. 

That was my review. Thank you so much for reading. I'm probably going to continue reading "The Rules of Magic" by Alice Hoffman next. Stay tuned for a review for that book soon. Have a great day and happy reading! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment