Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Book Review: Cinder

"Cinder" by Marissa Meyer(Lunar Chronicles #1)

Publication Date- January 3, 2012

Genre-Young Adult, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance

Hardcover Edition-390 Pages

Rating-5/5 Lily Pads

Would I Recommend it? Yes!!

No Spoilers!!

Favorite Quote:

"Vanity is a factor, but it is more a question of control. It is easier to trick others into perceiving you as beautiful if you can convince yourself you are beautiful. But mirrors have an uncanny way of telling the truth."-Page 172

Hey guys, here is another review. Today I am reviewing "Cinder". I actually read this book three years ago but never did a full review for it. I decided to reread it for a couple of reasons. I wanted to reread it and give it another try to see if I would like it more now because I didn't love "Cinder" the first time I read it. I was also in a reading slump and wanted to reread a book. This book got me out of my reading slump and I'm so happy my slump is gone! I loved this book! I guess my reading taste changed over the years. I don't know why I didn't love it before. If your wondering, I read "Scarlet" two years ago and loved it. I really need to continue the series. Anyway, let's get on with the review. 

Plot-5/5

Sixteen-year-old Cinder is considered a technological mistake by most of society and a burden by her stepmother. Being cyborg does have its benefits, though: Cinder's brain interference has given her an uncanny ability to fix things (robots, hovers, her own malfunctioning parts), making her the best mechanic in New Beijing. This reputation brings Prince Kai himself to her weekly market booth, needing her to repair a broken android before the annual ball. He jokingly calls it "a matter of national security," but Cinder suspects it's more serious than he's letting on.
Although eager to impress the prince, Cinder's intentions are derailed when her younger stepsister, and only human friend, is infected with the fatal plague that's been devastating Earth for a decade. Blaming Cinder for her daughter's illness, Cinder's stepmother volunteers her body for plague research, an "honor" that no one has survived.
But it doesn't take long for the scientists to discover something unusual about their new guinea pig. Something others would kill for.

I really love the plot for this book. It is so unique. It takes a different twist on Fairy Tales. I absolutely love Fairy Tale retellings, they are so fun to read. "Cinderella" will always be my favorite so it's obvious that I loved this book. I love what Marissa did to this book. It was like "Cinderella" but a little bit different. I love that this book has Cyborg's in it and there's so much technology. I'm not usually a fan of sci-fi books but this series is awesome. 

World-5/5

First of all, I love that this book is set in New Beijing. It's such a different setting and I love Asian countries so I loved how diverse the world is. I also loved that the world is connected to space and another planet, it was just so cool to read about. I can't wait to learn more about the world in the last two books. 

Writing-5/5

I can't put my finger on why I love Marissa Meyer's writing style, I just do. I can't say much about it. I just love the way she writes. 

Pacing-5/5

When I first read "Cinder" I remember thinking that the beginning was slow. However, after rereading the book I didn't think it was slow at all. The pacing was great and the second half was even more intense. This book was actually very addictive. I flew through it and read it in three days which is fast for me.

Cover-5/5

The cover is simple but I like it. I like that it shows Cinder's foot and I love that you can see the metal through the skin. It's cool and I love the font of the title of the book. I personally think all the cover's are beautiful though. 

Characters-5/5

I forgot how amazing these characters are. I liked them the first time I read the book, but I really loved them more now. I love Cinder, she is such an amazing character. I love that she's a tomboy and she's a mechanic, that was so unique. Also the fact that she's a cyborg is amazing, how many characters are a cyborg? I loved her personality. She's really nice, and caring. I liked that she stood up for herself and really cared about the world.
Prince Kai I absolutely loved! He's a Prince, how could you not love him? I do have a soft spot for them though. He's so nice and sweet and I thought he was a great ruler. He always puts his country first and tries to do his best to save all the people. I loved his relationship with Cinder. I ship them so hard! Their interactions were the best part of the book. I loved their friendship and want them to become more than that. They need to be together. Of course I loved Iko. I loved Peony, she was very sweet but I hated her stepmother and Pearl. They were so cruel to her. Queen Levana is that villain you love to hate. I liked Dr. Erland, at first I didn't trust him but I ended up liking him. What's really cool is there were some minor appearances from characters from the other books like Cress and Jacin. Even though I haven't read the last two books yet, I know who they are so it was cool to see a sneak peek of them . So yeah, the character development was awesome. I loved Scarlet and Wolf by the way. I can't wait to read more about Cress soon. 

Overall Thoughts

Overall, this book was amazing. I'm so glad I reread it and gave it another try. I loved "Scarlet" so I really wanted to love this book too. This series is so unique and cool. If your looking for a great series with fairy tales and a futuristic society I highly recommend this one. This book/series is definitely worth a buy. I originally gave this book 4/5 but after rereading it, I decided to bump it up to a 5 because I loved this book more now the second time. I also felt it deserved 5/5 Lily Pads. So yeah that's my review. Thank you so much for reading. I already have a review up for "Scarlet" so you can check that one out if you want. Hopefully I will read "Cress" soon and then I will update you guys once I finish it so stay tuned for a review. Have a great day and happy reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment